BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, Monday February 11, 2019 – Workers at state-owned enterprises are being put on notice that there are still more layoffs to come as Government seeks to manage a huge wage bill.
“We’ve sent home so far just about 1,000 [people],” Prime Minister Mia Mottley said yesterday on a radio call-in programme on Starcom Network.
“There are still a few more layoffs, what I call the peak structural layoffs, to come in one or two state-owned enterprises.”
The Prime Minister said the additional layoffs will come during Phase three of the Government’s restructuring programme for the Barbados economy.
“Phase three starts in April this year and goes to December 2020 to deal with some of those State-owned enterprises that require a greater amount of time and process to go in and do what has to be done so that you don’t end up without the services that have to be delivered,” Mottley said.
Noting that Government’s entire wage bill was BDS$780 million (US$390 million), she said about 10,000 people would have been placed on the breadline if her administration had not undertaken the Barbados Economic Recovery and Transformation Plan (BERT).
“No wonder you heard the former Governor of the Central Bank talking about sending home about 5,000 or 6,000 people . . . But imagine what would have happened if we’d sent home five times that [1,000], if you have the kind of crying and dislocation that we’ve seen, legitimately so, from what we sent home,” Mottley said. (Barbados Today)
Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)